Choose the Best Online CDA Certification Program
When you need to obtain your Childcare Development Associate certification, the information age makes it easy, as you can now choose the option of taking the entire program online. Whole courses and exams are available in just a few clicks if you have a credit or debit card to pay the fees, but how do you know you are getting your money’s worth when you just do a Google search to find a program?
Much like buying or reading anything on the internet, if you are unfamiliar with the source, you should take the information a program provides and scrutinize it thoroughly before committing your money. Research the program provider to see if other students have had problems going through those courses. If there is an admissions department or program advisor, call and ask any questions you may have.
There are also a few major key factors you should consider when searching for the best program that your advisor may not be able to tell you. Below are the major factors behind a program’s success or failure, which you can consider before signing up.
4 Components of Successful Online CDA Certification Programs
- Compliance: Make sure the program you are signing up for is the real deal – the program needs to have faculty who are qualified to teach. You should also receive a certificate and transcript at the conclusion of the courses to serve as proof of your efforts as you move toward certification. The benchmark you need to meet is 10 hours of training in all six CDA Competency Areas:
- To establish and maintain a safe, healthy learning environment
- To advance physical and intellectual competence
- To support social and emotional development and to provide positive guidance
- To establish positive and productive relationships with families
- To ensure a well-run, purposeful program responsive to participant needs
- To maintain a commitment to professionalism
- Thoroughness: Aside from an online CDA certification program just covering all six competency areas, it should also help prepare you for the remaining components that stand in your way of obtaining that certification. You are required to fulfill 120 working hours at a child care facility in the age range in which you desire to work. But not only that – you need to prepare, send out and collect questionnaires for parents as part of your assessment. You also need a professional portfolio and to prepare competency statements.
- Accessibility: How simple is it for you to contact your instructors for each course you take through the online CDA certification program? If it is difficult to contact the instructors, you may not get much support during your studies. Also check how the materials are available. If they are only online and can’t mail you materials, make sure that works for your situation.
- Success of Past Students: Someone helping run the program or an advisor should also be able to fill in these numbers for you: average success rate of students, enrollment numbers, how long the program has been running and if the program has ever lost certification.
If you can find satisfactory answers to these questions, the program you are considering is likely worth it.